This SIP proposes to introduce sFB, sAMZN, sAAPL, sNFLX, and sGOOG synthetic assets that track the price of the shares of Facebook Inc, Amazon Inc, Apple Inc, Netflix Inc, and Alphabet Inc.
FAANG synths will further allow traders to profit from bullish or bearish bets on the value of shares on some of the best-known publicly-traded companies.
Furthermore @rubber^duck did due diligence on price volumes. FAANG stocks are topping the chart, which supports this SIP.
These Synth will be implemented in much the same way as the other long crypto Synth. The main idea is to use an iterative approach.
Upon initial release sFB, sAMZN, sAAPL, sNFLX, and sGOOG will take into account periods of Market Closures:
- Trading will be stopped when markets are closed, halted or otherwise do not provide a valid price feed, as laid out in this tweet for sXAG, sXAU and other synths.
- A privileged keeper with a feed to market opening, closing times and holidays will be able to suspend the synth for trading during that period
- Secondary markets could be created with an AMM such as Uniswap or Balancer, which allow trading to continue on those platforms
- There could be a SNX liquidity incentives for a sFB, sAMZN, sAAPL, sNFLX, and sGOOG. Each could be paired with a sUSD in a pool that ensures deep liquidity persists during periods of market closure
In later iterations the following features will be also considered for inclusion in stages:
- Situations involving of Stock Splits and reverse-Stock Splits, as was seen recently in this press-release. Supporting stock splits needs to be iterated on, with more research required into the mechanisms that permit the synth to continue providing exposure to holders without additing too much friction. Potential approaches could take one of the following forms:
- The ampleforth rebasing multiplier approach that splits tokens when they occur. Need to consider the tradeoffs for integration of the stock synth, in different defi projects
- Deploying a new stock synth that holders need to migrate to, similar to the LEND AAVE migration, with the old stock synth price being frozen while the new stock synth is initiated at the post-split price
- The use of the index rebalancing approach for stock splits on a single stock. Under this approach a divisor is used after a split event which guarantees price continuity between pre and post stock split. Therefore the stock synth will always track the performance of the underlying in percentage change, but not necessarily in US Dollar terms. This approach is already being utilized by Synthetix when sDEFI/iDEFI rebalances.
- Dividends need careful consideration as the price is negatively impacted by the ex-dividend date, allowing arbitragers to assume a position that profits from the decline in the price between the dividend declaration date and ex-dividend date.
- One solution is to track the price of a stock synth that removes the impact of dividends on the price. So it provides the same exposure to the underlying but without the price impact of dividends.
- Another solution is to freeze trading through the contracts shortly pre-ex-dividend and unfreeze on ex-dividend date, after the price reflects the dividend allocation among existing stock owners (similar to the strategy used to deal with period of market closures).
Additional crypto and stock Synths will add further utility to the Synthetix protocol. While there are complex mechanisms to have the protocol implement such as splits and dividends which are being omitted for this initial release, it will start the public discussion and research for handling splits and dividends in order to bring on more synthetic stocks. Otherwise the listing framework might need to include stocks that don’t pay dividends.
Configurable Values (Via SCCP)
Copyright and related rights waived via CC0.