Synthetix Improvement Proposals (SIPs) describe standards for the Synthetix platform, including core protocol specifications, client APIs, and contract standards.
- Review SIP-1.
- Fork the repository by visiting the SIPs repo and pressing "Fork" in the top right.
- Add your SIP to your fork of the repository. There is a template SIP here.
- Submit a Pull Request to Synthetix's SIPs repository.
Your first PR should be a first draft of the final SIP. It must meet the
formatting criteria enforced by the build (largely, correct metadata in the
header). An editor will manually review the first PR for a new SIP and assign
it a number before merging it. Make sure you include a
discussions-to header with the URL to a discussion forum or open
GitHub issue where people can discuss the SIP as a whole.
If your SIP requires images, the image files should be included in a
subdirectory of the `assets` folder for that SIP as follow:
sips/assets/sip-X (for sip X). When linking to an image in
the SIP, use relative links such as
When you believe your SIP is mature and ready to progress past the Draft phase, you should reach out to a Spartan Council member on discord by searching members with the "Spartan Council" role or finding them within the #governance channel. The Spartan Council will schedule in a call with the SIP author to go through the SIP in more detail.
Once assessed, a SIP is moved into
Feasibility and a Core Contributor is assigned.
The Core Contributor will work with the author to conduct a feasibility study.
Once the Author and the Core Contributor are satisfied, a SIP is moved to
SC Review Pending.
Once the Spartan Council has formally reviewed the SIP during the SIP presentation
they can either move it to a vote or send it back to
A vote is conducted within the
spartancouncil.eth snapshot space connected on the
If a vote by the Spartan Council reaches a super majority, the SIP is moved to
Approved, otherwise it is
Once the SIP has been implemented by either the protocol DAO or the SIP author
and relevant parties, the SIP is assigned the
Community members who successfully reach this stage are entitled to a reward
from the Synthetix Protocol.
SIP status terms
- Draft - The initial state of a new SIP before the Spartan Council and core contributors have assessed it.
- Feasibility - a SIP that is being assessed for feasability with an assigned Core Contributor
- SC Review Pending - a SIP that is awaiting a Spartan Council Review after the Author and Core Contributor are satisfied with feasibility
- Vote Pending - a SIP that is awaiting a vote.
- Approved - a SIP that has successfully reached a super majority Spartan Council vote in favour.
- Rejected - a SIP that has failed to reach a supermajority Spartan Council vote in favour.
- Implemented - a SIP that has been released to main-net.